Transfer Ambassadors (TAs)
The Center for the First-Year Experience (CFYE) invites former transfer students to serve as Transfer Ambassadors (TA’s). Transfer Ambassadors must be available to work up to six hours per week during the academic year, and days/times are variable and flexible. Transfer Ambassadors also help staff the Transfer SOAR sessions during summer and winter breaks.
Serving as a Transfer Ambassador will reward students with experiences and skills that enhance career and personal development. They will work with the Transfer Transition Advisor and Transfer Initiatives Intern to create and staff programming to facilitate the transfer student transition to the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Transfer Ambassadors will be selected based on ability to work well independently and with others, communicate effectively, and serve as a positive role model on behalf of UW-Madison. They must display creativity, public relations skills, a high level of professionalism, inclusivity, and maturity of judgment. Additionally, they must demonstrate patience, flexibility, strong organizational skills, positive attitude, strong work ethic, eagerness to learn, and a commitment to the Transfer Transition Program.
- Must be an enrolled undergraduate student who transferred to UW-Madison in fall 2015 or earlier.
- Must demonstrate exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Must have strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Must be able to work independently and within a group.
- Must demonstrate the ability to serve as a role model by modeling professionalism, integrity, and inclusivity.
- Must be in good academic standing at time of application. Both transfer GPA and UW-Madison GPA may be considered.
- Previous leadership experience preferred.
- The Transfer Ambassador position is compatible with any of the other student employment opportunities within CFYE (New Student Leader, Orientation Assistant, Undergraduate Teaching Fellow). If interested, please apply for these positions separately.
- Applicants who wish to take summer courses and/or hold additional summer employment must discuss this in the individual interview process.
The Transfer Ambassador position is an exciting opportunity to assist transfer students in their transition to UW-Madison by connecting them to the Wisconsin Experience through various activities and new initiatives.
- Assist new transfer students in their first semester at UW-Madison by facilitating involvement opportunities, promoting a sense of belonging to the Badger community and the greater Madison area, and provide resources for personal and academic success.
- Attend training sessions in Spring 2016: March 5, April 16, April 30, May 6, and additional dates to be determined.
- Attend a team-building retreat with other CFYE student staff on May 23 – 24, 2016.
- Assist with Transfer/International SOAR sessions on June 13-14, June 27-28, July 18-19, August 10, and August 24, 2016. Exact SOAR dates are still being finalized and are subject to change.
- Assist with Wisconsin Welcome events, as needed; including Convocation on September 1, Night at Overture, and the Transfer Welcome Dinner on September 13.
- Assist weekly with email, print, and in-person outreach to transfer students.
- Mentor new transfer students in one-on-one meetings.
- Create and/or work with campus partners to develop programming and activities for transfer students to enhance the Wisconsin Experience.
- Actively participate in weekly TA staff meetings.
- Discuss and engage in difficult topics such as transition and self-awareness.
- Support the Transfer Transition Program in whatever capacity necessary.
- Transfer Ambassadors can work an average of 6 hours per week and will be paid $9.00 per hour.
Additional Benefits of Employment
- Some meals during Wisconsin Welcome sessions
- Significant networking and interaction with University staff, students, parents, and guests
- Considerable leadership and program planning experience
- Transfer Ambassador attire
Submit a complete application no later than NOON on Wednesday, December 16, 2015.
1. Online application form
2. Cover letter highlighting your qualifications for this position and why you are applying to be a Transfer Ambassador
3. Professional one-page resume Applicants selected during the screening process will be invited to a group interview in late-January and an individual interview in early-February. All communication regarding the status of your application will be sent via email.